Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Swiss Bear reminiscences...Mike's Jewelry

Bruce and Cindy Price opened the doors of Mike's Jewelry
Store on Dec.1, 1992
It wasn’t business as usual when Bruce and Cindy Price opened the doors of Mike’s Jewelry Store on Dec. 1, 1992. After 34 years, the family business established by Mike Crary was in a new and much larger location. Until they moved to the adjacent building, this small family business had grown and prospered over the years in a 50-inch by 50-foot space nestled between two buildings.
The relocation into the adjacent Windley Building at 222 Middle St. reflects the passage of a business to the next generation — a shop that prospered as business increased every year, even during the “doom and gloom” years in the ‘70s when the downtown reached its lowest point.
In my conversation with Crary, in the spring of 1993, he reflected on his long career. Here is Crary’s story:
I must have done something right. In addition to working hard, my philosophy has always been to treat people as I would like to be treated.
I’m just about a native. Although I grew up in Kinston, I had family in New Bern so I spent a lot of time here. I served in the Navy in WWII and have campaign ribbons from every theater from the North Atlantic to the South Pacific.
After the war, like everyone else, I needed a job. When I heard the Jewel Box had an opening I applied. Murray Fitterman owned the business and after the interview, the man put me to work. I went in on the GI bill since it paid for training on the job. We made a deal: If I would work on the floor as a salesman for a year he would train me in watch repair.
Fitterman was one of the toughest and fairest bosses I ever worked for. He was a man of his word. If he promised you something you could put it in the bank. I worked for Mr. Fitterman for seven years and learned the trade of watch repair, among other things. Jimmy Simpkins owned Stanley Jewelers … it was just down the street … he wooed me away from the Jewel Box. Unfortunately Mr. Simpkins’ interest in politics took its toll on the business. First he ran for Alderman and won hands down. Next he ran and was elected to the State Senate. When he ran for a seat in the U.S. Congress, he was defeated by David Henderson of Burgaw. It wasn’t long after that the IRS closed the store.
That left me without a job. As I was walking along Middle Street wondering what I was going to do, I saw a little recessed area … like a hole between two buildings. It was originally an alleyway between the old hotel and the Windley building. Years before Ellis Zaytoun had converted an area of the alley to house a newsstand. He was there for more than 50 years, in fact, he raised three kids and put them through college with that business. He had closed the newsstand several years before.
I knew right then that’s where I needed to set up my shop, even though it was in bad shape. Leo Brody owned the property and he said he would rent it to me but I would have to pay for all of the repairs and would rent me the space for $50 a month and would never raise the rent as long as I stayed there. Mr. Brody was a fine gentleman and a man of his word. Up until we moved, I was still only paying $50 a month.
I put on a new roof, fixed up the interior and hung out my shingle. The shop was small, 50-inches wide and 20-feet deep at that time. I didn’t need any more room since all I had was a watch workbench and my tools. They were the only things the IRS didn’t confiscate.
Since I had worked downtown for so many years, I was well known. Today, it is cheaper to buy a new watch than to get on fixed, but years ago it wasn’t that way. People had their watches repaired frequently. I had a lot of repeat customers … some who couldn’t read. So to let people know where I was, I would run ads with my picture … when people would see my face and that haircut they knew where to find me. I’ve had the same brush cut for 50 years.
I worked late into the night repairing watches and put every dollar I could into merchandise. I knew money wasn’t only to be made with my hands … a large inventory and different lines of merchandise were the answer and my business prospered. Even during downtown’s low point in the late 1979’s, his business increased. He attributed this to his store being a destination … one that provided a service and had many return customers or “friends.”
Crary retired when Bruce and Cindy Price opened the new store. His wife, Mabel worked in the new store until she passed away in 2006. Mike, now 95, resides at the Sterling House.
Current owners Bruce and Cindy’s biggest problem has been adjusting to and compensating for the growth of business.

No comments:

Post a Comment