Monday, September 10, 2012

Richard Dobbs Spaight...a followup to the September 6 blog


Grave plate inside sepulcher


As a person who loves history and reading biographies of famous people who made a difference that improved the lives of the general public, I am always amazed at the important role New Bern and New Bernians played when North Carolina was a colony, in the founding of this nation and its important on-going role in our country’s history.  I suppose I’m particularly impressed having grown up in Michigan, which became a part of the U.S. in 1787 as a Northwest Territory, finally admitted as a state in 1837 and settled in large part by immigrants who came to the United States during the Great Migration between 1850 and 1900.

In moving to New Bern, I was very impressed to learn the gravesite of a signer of the constitution who played a major role in our country’s founding as a Revolutionary War patriot, a delegate to the Federal Constitution Convention of 1787 and to the North Carolina Ratification Convention of 1788, and the first native born Governor of the state of North Carolina (serving for three terms) was located just outside the city limits on Madam Moore’s Lane. My thoughts then and now  are…how cool is that? How many cities can claim such a honor? 

Being appointed to serve on the County’s Bicentennial of the Constitution Committee in 1987 provided the opportunity for me to pull people together (Commissioners, Swiss Bear Board members and other community minded people) to make improvements to the gravesite and be accessible to the public, an accomplishment I took great pride in.

After I wrote the blog (published on September 6th, the day Richard Dobbs Spaight died in 1802 at the age of 44 from wounds inflicted in a duel) I drove to the site to take a few pictures and was dismayed to see weeds in the drive way, inside the sepulcher and a heavy layer of mold on the grave plate….the site  looked forlorn, sad and abandoned.

It seems to me, a County and City that prides itself on its history, reconstructed Tryon Palace with its emphasis on this period of time as the first colonial and state capital, worked for years to develop tourism as an industry, an industry key to the revitalization of our downtown focusing on our historic attractions and the preservation of our historic assets including historic cemeteries, that this site would be at the top of the list of historic attractions. But for some reason, an enigma to me, this  historic cemetery in which a signer of the constitution is buried, is long forgotten.

In closing and in tribute to this founding father, I would like to share with our readers the epitaph on General Spaight’s tomb…that is no longer legible. How sad is that?

      Here are deposited the remains of
GEN. RICHARD DOBBS SPAIGHT
      who departed this life on the 6th of September, 1802
Aged 44 years

He is gone, lamented by the good and revered by the brave.
He is gone, loaded with the honors of his country and the benedictions of his friends.

    So sleeps the brave who sink to rest
    By all their country’s wishes blest.
    When Spring, with dewy fingers cold,
    Returns to deck his hollowed mold;
    So there shall find a sweeter sod,
    Than Fancy feet have ever trod.

    By fairy hands his knell is rung
    By forms unseen his dirge is sung,
    There Honor comes, a pilgrim gray,
    To bless the turf that wraps his clay.
    And Freedom shall awhile repair,
    And dwell a weeping hermit there.


Tell us what you think!

Susan Moffat Thomas
Executive Director

2 comments:

  1. I understand that the Spaight/Stanly duel was so shocking that when word reached the legislators in Raleigh they called for an emergency session to write a law outlawing dueling in the state. I have faith that the sad state of affairs of Spaight's grave will be quickly remedied! Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was doing a bit of research & came upon your blog. It sincerely warmed my heart to read & feel your sincerity in regards to Richard's grave. I recently discovered that I am related to him & when I saw pictures of his grave it saddened me beyond words. You are absolutly correct when saying how can a place so proud of its heritage allow for his grave to be in such a state? They should be ashamed of themselves. If only I lived there...I would see to it that it was preserved.
    Reading your blog has sparked an idea & I believe tomorrow morning I am going to contact some individuals regarding this. Richard was a great man & his memory as well as his resting place deserves to be honored.
    I sincerely thank you for your blog & caring. It means the world.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete